Thursday, August 4, 2016

British Vocabulary Lesson (Slang edition)

Yeah, we all speak English, but as the Queen says, "There is no such thing as 'American English'. There is English. And there are mistakes." I'm not actually sure she ever said this, but it's pretty darn funny so let's leave it at that.

Living in UAE, we were exposed to lots of British English so I thought I was in pretty good shape. Heck we did everything in British English at work so I'm all good with my colour and organisation. Still, there's lots to get used so thought I'd let you all learn along the way with me. Ready?!

British Vocabulary Lesson (Slang edition)
  1.  Bugger All - nothing at all. For example: I've had bugger all to do all day.
  2.  Shattered - exhausted, wiped out. For example: I'm shattered after moving house today.
  3.  Gutted - devastated, extremely disappointed. For example: I was gutted we didn't get that cute little house in the village of Pill.
  4.  Cock Up - a mistake of epic proportion. For example: The Republicans have really cocked up this election.
  5.  Lost the Plot - to become angry and/or exasperated to a fault. For example: When I saw the mess the cats had made of the litter box, I lost the plot.
  6.  Brass Monkeys - extremely cold weather. For example: You'd better bring a coat. It's brass monkeys out there. (I can't wait to use this one!)
  7.  Scrummy - truly delicious, mouth-wateringly good. For example: These scones with clotted cream and jam are scrummy.
  8.  Rubbish - yes garbage, but also to express ridiculous disbelief. For example: That website is a load of rubbish.
  9.  Kerfuffle - skirmish, argument or fight because of differing views. For example: I'm sure many an American household is having a right kerfuffle over the presidential elections.
  10.  Wanker - Oh, ‘wanker’. Possibly the best British insult on the list, it fits a certain niche for a single-worded insult to lobbied out in a moment of frustration, anger, provocation, or, of course, as a jest amongst friends. ‘Wanker’ fits the closest fit by ‘jerk’ or ‘asshole’, but to a slightly higher value. (I had to steal this definition from the website as it was so scrummy!) And I'm guessing you can come up with your own example this time round.
Hope you've enjoyed today's lesson and have a chance to use some of your new vocab this week. Stay tuned for our next installment - Everyday items edition.

No comments:

Post a Comment