Monday, August 22, 2016

A Visit to Bristol Cathedral

When we first arrived in Bristol, we stayed in the city centre on Welsh Back which provided great access to the city. And it was mid July so the weather was perfect for exploring. So, while my husband, Brian, toiled away at work, I went to see what I could see. And on this particular day, that was the Bristol Cathedral. Have a look.

The Cathedral is right in the middle of town and I just kind of stumbled across it while wandering around. It sits on a beautiful square and I think is actually on the campus of Bristol University.

To be honest, the inside isn't all that spectacular (remember I've seen a lot of churches in my time and not long ago in Rome so my standards are pretty high these days) but still impressive. The main worship area is also a lot smaller than it looks from the outside.

This is the organ and where the choir sits. I came back that evening for evensong as there was a visiting guest choir from Texas. Founded in 1150, this is a Church of England cathedral, but the mass was very similar to Roman Catholic. (at least to my heathen ears it seemed to be!)

The real beauty of the place, however, is the gardens. Lush, green and so dense you forget you're in the middle of the city. A gorgeous place even on the overcast drizzly day of these photos.


I still sometimes can't believe we now live here. The history and the buildings are so old. And what a contrast after the new glitz and glamour of Abu Dhabi. Lots to explore!

No comments:

Post a Comment