Thursday, October 6, 2016

British Vocabulary Lesson (Common Phrases)

Today's vocabulary lesson is all about the common day to day phrases Bristolians use that I've come to notice. I figure I'd better get them down now before they become so second nature that I don't recognise them as different anymore.

Hiya - common greeting and typically followed by "ya alright?". Very casual and friendly with a nice lilt to it. I know this is one I will surely adopt so listen for it when I visit home.

No problem at all - used all the time in a kind of annoying way. Here's an example:
"Hiya. I'd like to make a service appoint for my car."
"No problem at all. What seems to be the problem?"
"The clutch is making a squeaking noise."
"Okay, no problem at all, let me get your registration please." (that's my car license number by the way)
"xxxxxxx"
"Great. No problem at all. When would you like to come in?"
And it goes on like that. The phrase is used so often it gets annoying.

Tag questions - If you're an English teacher, you know what I'm talking about. If not, it's when you add a question to reinforce your statement at the end of your statement. Did you get that? Let me provide a few examples.
"Well, she just needs to apologise then, doesn't she?
"This lunch is lovely, isn't it?"
"We've got to catch the bus, haven't we?"
"I've got a splitting headache, haven't I?"

By-eee - how to say goodbye when on a phone call. I actually noticed this in Abu Dhabi and it's even more common here. The goodbye takes a little while longer too. Let me illustrate:
"Okay, well I'll talk to you tomorrow then, won't I?"
"Yep, no problem at all. By-eee."
"Okay, then Bye, Bye."
"Bye, Bye, By-eee."

All sorted - One of my favourites and one of the first I learned from Abu Dhabi. In the US, we would say something like, organised, fixed up, arranged but they're all so clunky once you start using sorted. Let me show you:
I've got everything figured out for the trip .... becomes .... I've got it all sorted.
Is everything organised for your first day of work? .... becomes .... Have you got everything sorted?
See? It's just so much more efficient - give it a try, I guarantee you're phrases will be sorted in no time!

And that's today's lesson. By-eee!

No comments:

Post a Comment